Senior Project Manager
Midwest & Midatlantic Offices
Sigma Associate’s Senior Project Manager is responsible for managing one or more projects to meet the client’s requirements for technical scope, quality, schedule, budget, and overall satisfaction. The Sr. Project Manager is expected to participate in generating new work for the company within the client’s organization. The Sr. Project Manager is responsible for allocating resources and ensuring the projects are within deadlines and budgets. The Sr. Project Manager is also responsible for QA/QC for all submittals at any stage or whatever submittal type, including but not limited to training, reports, memos, RFI’s, etc.
- Ensure all client requirements, technical and otherwise, are understood, documented in a project plan, and communicated to the project team. Incorporate goals and objectives of the Company into the project plan, including scope, resource utilization and schedule impacts. Ensure client satisfaction for projects (during project and upon project completion).
- Serve as primary liaison with client which may be the owner or a prime consultant to the owner. Shape client perceptions through effective communication and negotiation skills. Ensure that Sigma has formal authorization before any work is initiated. Be proactive in identifying and seeking formal approval for scope changes.
- Specific duties include planning, staffing, scheduling, budget management, quality control, safety, and coordination of subcontractors and internal technical and support staff.
- Plan and direct all specialized engineers working on specific project/projects.
- Manage the development, implementation, and evaluation of complex designs, product construction and testing in order to ensure completion of project as efficiently and effectively as possible.
Lead the Project Delivery System to achieve the following project delivery strategic objectives:
- Health, safety, environmental responsibility
- Client expectations for quality, schedule, and budget
- Financial performance for project specific targets
- Project team expectations
- Operational performance and business unit expectations
- Lead project decisions regarding technical approaches, cost and scheduling, and performance.
- Responsible for the identification of schedule and cost variances and the development and implementation of recommendations for corrective action for negative variances.
- Responsible to help grow fellow team members through coaching of associate project managers and technical team members.
- Responsible for project components include project planning, studies, preliminary design, final design, and services during construction.
- Project design assignments include process engineering, interdisciplinary design supervision and design coordination, preparation of construction plans and bid document specifications, office engineering construction support, coordination with facility operations staff, start-up assistance, and contract administration.
- Work with other senior staff in business development efforts, including client contacts, proposal preparation, and project positioning activities.
- Positively interface between the local clients and company project teams and resources.
- Demonstrate success in project management and delivering plant designs in a profitable manner.
- Track and report project progress on a weekly basis. Document, obtain client approval, and track all changes in project parameters. Document and communicate, both internally and externally, all obstacles, delays and scope changes. Close all project documentation and archive appropriate records.
- Ensure customer relationships are well established and quality services are provided to build and maintain a long-term Client relationship.
- Participate in business development through relationship building, lead generation, teaming discussions, proposal preparation, and service area and market development activities.
- Develop relationships with key client personnel to provide for effective resolution of issues and to generate additional opportunities for the Company by either expanding the existing project scope or providing services on new scopes of work. Support the company’s business development plans to develop new markets, clients, and services. This will involve meeting with clients to identify new business opportunities, arrange teaming with other consultants, developing proposals, and associated follow-up activities.
Financial Management and Administration
- Assist with the financial management, reporting, forecasting, and administrative duties for all projects. Reporting must be timely, accurate and complete. Approve all appropriate project expenditures. Review and approve client invoices in a timely manner and aggressively pursue collections.
- Ensure communication between Project Team, Client and Leadership is ongoing. Monitor customer satisfaction through audits. Responsible for Quality Assurance/Quality Control activities for all projects.
- Effectively develop winning proposal strategies/tactics and execute them through client needs analysis, written proposals, negotiations with decision makers, and the gathering and use of market and competitor intelligence.
- Provide senior technical leadership to assigned staff. Ensure that existing staff is developed through mentoring, on-the-job training, and external training to meet the Company’s future project and management needs. Identify recruiting needs and recruit staff in anticipation of future market demands to exploit strategic opportunities. Delegate work to maximize staff utilization, broaden the experience base of the staff, and maintain personal productivity. Conduct performance appraisals and provide salary recommendations in a timely manner.
- Assist in the preparation, updating and implementation of strategic plans, operational business plans, and service segment marketing plans.
- Present a professional image when conducting business both internally with team members and externally with clients and teaming partners.
- Travel will be done as necessary to support the company and the client’s needs.
- Bachelor’s degree (B.S) in relevant engineering discipline (civil/electrical/mechanical)
Certifications, Licenses, Registrations
- Professional Engineer Certification required.
- Project Management Professional preferred.
- 15+ progressive years of relevant experience in the market supported by this position.
- Successful track record in business development, project management, and staff leadership.
- Water/Wastewater – experience designing and planning water/wastewater facilities, along with experience managing projects in the up to $10M in engineering fee range and building and managing widely dispersed project teams.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Ability to apply civil, electrical and I&C engineering principles and practices in the specific market the position is focused on servicing.
- Ability to create and read blueprints.
- Ability to achieve solutions to complex technical problems.
- Demonstrated communication, facilitation, and negotiation skills with a focus on a high quality process.
- Ability to make difficult complex strategic decisions.
- Long term focus-visionary to see the end result.
- Willingly assumes responsibility and ownership.
- Ability to create an open environment conducive to freely sharing information and ideas.
- High level understanding of technical concepts.
- Experienced team leader with the ability to instill trust, motivate and work with other people while focused on accomplishing the project and overall organizational goals.
- Ability to create an environment conducive to contribution, growth and achievement.
- A self-starter who demonstrates personal initiative with high standards of integrity and personal work standards.
- Experience with relationship development and management while obtaining new opportunities for the company.
- Ability to use word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, and database applications (MS Office Suite).
- Ability to work independently, manage time efficiently, and manage multiple projects concurrently.
- Ability to manage time to meet deadlines consistently.
- Experience in and the ability to identify and frame client needs, extract and interpret relevant organizational information, apply analytical frameworks, formulate and sell business solutions to Client.
- Ability to scope, schedule, cost estimate, implement and manage recommended solutions for Clients, while consistently exceeding Client expectations and assuring that Sigma receives a fair profit.